Kenya Visa | Apply Visa for Kenya
Are you looking forward to visiting Kenya in 2023? You will require a visa application that can be obtained simply through their website. There is no need for personally visiting the Kenya embassy to get a valid visa. You can get an e-visa for Kenya, which is considered an electronic travel permit. The Government of Kenya grants the visa and no one is allowed in the country without holding a valid and original e-visa.
What is Kenya eVisa?
The Kenya visa or eVisa is an electronic travel permit, which the government of Kenya grants to foreigners wishing to visit Kenya. Every foreign traveler needs to obtain this travel permit mandatorily before traveling to the country. Without a visa, you'll not be allowed to enter Kenya. With a Kenyan eVisa, you can stay in the country for a maximum period of three months or 90 days. Foreigners from 160 visa eligible countries can apply for an electronic visa to Kenya. The best thing about eVisa Kenya is that it eliminates the need to visit your local Kenyan consulate or embassy to receive a travel permit. Previously, applying for a visa used to be a long and tedious process. However, with the introduction of electronic visa Kenya, the process has become paperless, quick, and convenient.
Fast-Tracked Kenya eVisa
Do you want to travel to Kenya in the near future and do not have a visa yet? Submit an Urgent Kenya visa application right away. Standard applications on average take may one week. Urgent applications for the Kenya visa are on average granted same-workdays.
Types of Kenya eVisa:
Depending on your travel plans, you can either apply for:
That has a validity of 90 days. In all visa variants, you are allowed to visit all cities in Kenya.
Kenya Transit Visa
Transit visa Kenya is a single-entry travel permit issued to travelers who enter Kenyan territories on a connecting flight to other countries and wish to leave the airport while they are in Kenya. With a Kenyan transit visa, you can stay in the country for a maximum duration of 72 hours. A Transit visa will be valid for no more than three days from the date you arrived in Kenya. Those who do not need to leave the airport or will directly board the connecting flight to another country doesn't need to get a transit visa.
Kenya Single Entry Visa:
Kenya issues a Single-Entry Visa to the visitors who need to enter the country only one time.
Kenya provides this type of visa for business, medical, tourism, or any other specified purpose.
- The Single-Entry visa has the validity of three months from the issue date to travel and move around in Kenya.
- If you want to stay longer than the visa duration, you can apply for an extension. Authorities can grant a visa extension of 90 days.
- The fee for a single-entry visa is depend on the country.
Kenya Multiple Entry Visa:
If your purpose of visiting Kenya requires you to enter the country frequently (more than one time), you need a Multiple Entry visa.
Kenya issues Multiple Entry visas either for business, medical, tourism or other reasons.
- This type of visa has validity for 3 to 12 months from the date of issuance.
Upon grant of an e-Visa, you must take its printout and show it to the Immigration Control at present at your entrance spot.
Kenya Courtesy Visa:
If you have diplomatic, service, or official passports and are visiting Kenya for any official mission, you need to apply for a Courtesy Visa.
Kenya also issues this type of visa to the person who intends to visit any other country for his official duties and needs to transit through Kenya. The visa fee for Courtesy Visa includes only the service charges.
Kenya East African Tourist Visa:
An East African Tourist Visa is a special visa for tourists, also known as a Joint Tourist Visa.
If you plan to travel to Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda or travel within these countries, you can apply for the Joint Tourist Visa.
- This type of visa has the validity of three months from the date of issuance.
You need to take the printout of the visa and present it to Immigration Control at your entry point and receive an East Africa Visa Sticker.
Kenya 5yr Multiple Entry Visa:
This type of visa is specific for the nationals of the United States of America who want to stay in Kenya for a long duration, for business or tourism reasons.
- This visa has a validity of 5 years from the date of issuance.
You need to present the printout of your visa to Immigration Control upon entering Kenya.
How to Apply: Kenya eVisa
Getting the Kenya eVisa online is quite convenient. Anyone can apply at any time of the day, any day. In case of urgent visas, you can get an eVisa 7 days prior to your departure. Although, it is advised to get the visa at least two weeks before the day of your flight. The process is simple and can be done in three easy steps. They are:
- Fill out the application form online.
- Make the payment using a debit or credit card. You can also use your PayPal account to make the payment. Kenya visa fee will depend on the country and type of visa.
- Upload a passport size photograph, which was taken no more than 6 months before. A scanned copy of the passport and two hotel booking confirmations will also be required. Once you upload these documents, you can submit the application.
The system will check for omissions and common mistakes in the application. If there are any errors or missing information, you will be notified via email. Once these errors are corrected, your visa goes for approval and you get the eVisa sent directly to your email address.
Requirements for Eligibility of eVisa
All travelers wishing to travel to Kenya must meet a few requirements to become eligible for the eVisa. The following list discusses in detail about these requirements and its level of importance.
- All travelers must have their original passports with a validity of six months or more at the time of arrival to Kenya. The passport should also at least one empty page so the immigration officer at the Kenya airport can stamp entry and exit.
- The arrival of tourists and travelers is only allowed at one of the 10 selected airports, 10 selected seaports or the 11 selected borders. These points of entries can be found on Kenya’s visa requirements page.
- At the time of applying for the Kenya eVisa, the date of arrival in the country and the date of departure must be confirmed. Additionally, at least one accommodation should also be booked and confirmed.
- Documents like the travel itinerary including the return ticket and hotel bookings will have to be uploaded at the time of visa application.
Rules for Travelers During Their Stay in Kenya
All travelers without an exception must follow the following rules:
- A print of the eVisa along with travel tickets and booking accommodations with the passport. These should be kept together at all times during the stay in Kenya.
- A single entry is allowed for all travelers for the maximum length of 90 days.
- Any travel while visiting Kenya cannot get employment with the locals without additional authorization and documentation.
- All travelers need to follow the rules of the country and cannot pose any threat to other Kenyans. The safety and law enforcement of Kenya should not be threatened in any way.
Why Visit Kenya?
Kenya is best known for its outstanding safaris, offering unforgettable memories. The Masai Mara National Reserve is the hotspot for safari lovers in Kenya.
It is most famous for the Great Migration, where millions of wild herbivores, including giraffes, buffalos, zebra, antelope, wildebeest, and rhinoceros, enter the Serengeti-Mara ecosystem.
Countless herds of wildlife cross the Masai Mara National Park and enter the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania. The entire scene creates the most fulfilling safari experience.
Moreover, Kenya is a paradise for birdwatchers offering heartwarming glimpses of over a thousand rare species. The stunning coastline in Eastern Kenya is one of the best diving locations in the entire African continent.
Points to Remember:
- To apply for a Kenya transit visa online, you need to have an onward ticket to your desired destination.
- Business travelers have to obtain an invitation letter from the sponsor company, along with a copy of the company's registration.
- Travelers must attach a clear image of their photograph as well as the passport's bio page.
- The photograph must be taken according to the set guidelines.
- Travelers who are 16-years old or below do not need to carry any other document while traveling to the Republic of Kenya. They can enter the country just by presenting a valid passport.
- Each traveler must apply for his/her own visa. Children up to 15-years of age must travel with their parents.
Entry Ports for Kenya With the eVisa
The eVisa is accepted at air, sea and land borders at the following ports of entry:
- Eldoret International Airport
- Garisa Airstrip
- Jomo Kenyatta Airport
- Kisumu Airport
- Lamu Airport
- Lokichogio Airport
- Malindi Airport
- Moi Airport
- Wajir International Airport
- Wilson Airport
Kenyan Land Borders
Kenyan Sea Ports
- Mbita Point
- Muhuru Bay
- Old Port
Kenya E-visa Frequently Asked Questions:
Kenya’s Ministry of Home Affairs announced the transition of visa applications to a new online biometric process starting January 1, 2021. They aim to avoid the inconvenient long queues at the airport and lessen face-to-face interaction to ensure the safety of all applicants.
Applicants may proceed to fill out the Kenya e Visa application form in the comfort of their home using their phones or laptop. The website is available 24/7 and can accommodate applications from eligible nationalities.
Note: Ensure that the information provided matches the details in the uploaded supporting documents.
Eligible nationalities may stay in Kenya for 90 consecutive days using a single-entry and Multiple-Entry Kenyan e-Visa
The cost varies depending on the type of visa and urgency of the application. Here is the information about Kenya visa fees.
Applicants may apply 3 to 5 days before their scheduled flight to Kenya. Immigration recommends leaving a few days as a leeway just in case they have issues with the application.
Applicants must have the following for a successful entry to Kenya:
- - Two digital passport-sized photographs of the traveler
- - Scan of their passport biography page
- - Scan of their visa
- - Complete Kenya Online Visa Application Form
- - Pay the application fee (cost may vary)
- - Supporting documents
- - Return or onward ticket
- - Hotel accommodation booking
- - Yellow Fever Vaccine Certificate (applicable for some countries)
Travelers get the result of their visa application within 2 to 3 business days. Kenya e-Visa has a high rate of approval. Nonetheless, discrepancies in the form and incomplete supporting documents may lead to invalid application.
Kenya’s Ministry of Home Affairs suspends on-arrival visa to give way for a new online biometric process starting January 1, 2021. Travelers who wish to travel to Kenya can apply online for an E-Visa Citizen of the eligible country.
Some parts of Kenya are at risk. Travelers have the option to take the vaccine for their safety. If the origin country is at risk from Yellow Fever Vaccine , Kenyan Government requires vaccination.
After applying, travelers will get the Kenya e-Visa confirmation through their registered email. They have the option to download the document and print it.
Kenyan E-Visa fee has no option for a refund after submission, whether the application gets approved or declined.